Category: Flip4Mac WMV Components
Subject: Playing .mms streams in iTunes
.mms radio feeds (such as mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WEEI)
normally only play in VLC or Windows Media Player. But with the now-free Flip4Mac plug-in installed, you can
make them play in iTunes like any other streaming radio station.
- Make sure the Flip4Mac plug-in is installed -- this will allow you to
play the streaming .mms URL in QuickTime.
- Open QuickTime Player, then use File: Open URL (or just hit
- Type in your URL -- in my example, that's
mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WEEI (Boston sports radio), then click OK.
The URL will take a while to open; be patient, let it buffer as needed.
- Save the stream as a .mov file using File: Save As, etc. Just save it
to your Desktop as an ordinary .mov file; name it as you'd like.
- Drag the .mov file you just created into your iTunes Library.
- Play the movie file in iTunes. It will again take some time to buffer
and stream, and it will not show up in iTunes as a streaming
radio URL, but it will play as one.